Mold inconvenience

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

On February 3rd 2012, Heidi Steinbrink alerted the school of warped cabinets and sighted mold in her science classroom due to a steam pipe leak.

The school jumped into action almost immediately. An infrared camera was brought in to find the exact source of the problem. The potential of causing harm to any students was not an option.

Within a short time span the major leak was found in the north east corner of Kim Hobby’s Biology room. An environmental hygienist identified the mold as one of the most common types in Ohio: a non-toxic mold. With the advice of the professional, four areas were tested for mold. The science hallway, Hobby’s room, the library, and outside as a control.

“I never felt there was any danger,” Kim Hobby said. “I got out my rubber gloves and gave the room a thorough cleaning myself.”

Hobby, as well as Melissa Brinn, recalled smelling mold as far back as November. It was somewhat expected when Steinbrink had spotted it, but the news still came as a shock.

In order to ensure the safety of the students, science classes on the east end of the hallway were relocated to available rooms from Friday the 10th until Tuesday the 14th.

Five days and approximately $2,500 later, classes in the affected science rooms resumed. After having the entire janitorial staff scrub the room down, the air quality of Hobby’s room is now the cleanest of the four tested areas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Note:

    The Dome is not responsible for the content of externally linked sites
%d bloggers like this: